Amber Lawrence, Chair: With more than 2 decades in the nonprofit world and having founded 2 nonprofits from the ground up, which involved working with many different levels of government from local to federal, Amber knows firsthand how important the work of nonprofits is. As such, puts all her skills to help OBEC make a difference for our environment.
– What motivates you? “Helping others make the world a better place.”
– Fun fact: “I homeschooled my children until grade 7.”
Garland Yang, Vice-Chair: HR professional with 12 years of experience at Global Fortune 500 companies and start-ups. Passionate in volunteering activities to keep our environment clean and sustainable.
– What motivates you? “To make contributions to our OBEC with all other members while keeping learning from each other.”
– Fun fact: “I enjoy walking, ping-pong, swimming, reading, and travelling.”
Eric Sonego, Treasurer: Eric is the longest member on OBEC’s Board of Directors. He is a highly certified accountant (RPA, APA, CIA, CMA(AU) & IIA – Internal Auditor) and owner of Eric Sonego Professional Group.
Rudi Aksim, Secretary. After many years as a teacher and manager at Algonquin College, Rudi spends his time trying to be a good steward of a property in Carp (near Ottawa) and seeking to address the climate emergency through small-scale community sustainability projects, based on local needs identified by the residents (such as OBEC community sustainability plans).
- What motivates you? “Interaction with others. I love discussion and working with others on projects.”
- Fun fact: “I’m very interested in language and in learning languages. During the pandemic I’ve vastly improved my Estonian (my heritage language). I can finally read those family letters: they’re in Estonian and in cursive (which some of us can still write and read!).
Juliet Asikhia: Juliet holds a Bachelor of Environmental Engineering from the University of Tampere, Finland and a Master of Environmental Policy and Law from the University of Eastern Finland, Finland. Juliet currently works with various nonprofit organizations in maximizing technology for efficient operational processes.
- My motivation comes from supporting climate change and social justice work.
- Fun fact: In my imagination, I love meeting people, but in reality, I get overwhelmed by being around people for too long.
Matthew Carey: Matthew is Legal Counsel for Hydro Ottawa Group of Companies, whose core businesses include electricity distribution, renewable energy generation, energy, telecommunications and utility services. He holds a Juris Doctor from the University of Ottawa and a Bachelor of Arts from Ontario Tech University. Matthew has been an active member of the Ottawa community and currently serves as a Director of his local Community Association in addition to OBEC’s Board.
- What motivates you? The chance to learn something new.
- Fun fact: I’m an aspiring amateur pizzaiolo.