Saturday 28 April 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM
Hintonburg Sustainability Plan
Come see the plan
Members of the Hintonburg Community have created a Sustainability Plan.
Go to the Community Centre Saturday morning, visit the Meeting Room in the basement and view the plan. Talk to organizers and see what interests you.
What: View Ottawa’s 1st Community Sustainability Plan
When: Saturday 28 April 2018, from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM
Where: Hintonburg Community Centre, 1064 Wellington St. West, Ottawa
What is the Ottawa Biosphere Eco-City Initiative (OBEC)?
OBEC is a not-for-profit that uses Biosphere Eco-City (BEC) Themes and Tools to engage people and organizations in sustainability
BEC Themes of Sustainability
For buildings and activities e.g. transportation, manufacturing, agriculture
Human needs for land, water, soil, natural materials
Clean air & water, safety, tranquility, environmental needs of vulnerable groups
Demonstration Projects and Sustainability Plans
Latest Entries in Database of Sustainability Projects
- Bee Friendly Farming in CanadaMay 23, 2018(Theme 4 – Habitat, Theme 5 – Food) Organization: Seeds of Diversity Timeline for Completion: Ongoing Objective: More Native Plant Diversity = More Native Pollinator Diversity Pollination Canada, a project of Seeds of Diversity, is proud to announce its participation in Bee Friendly Farming Self-certification allows you to use this logo, indicating that your agricultural practices Read more
- Macoun Marsh – preserving biodiversityMay 6, 2018(Theme 4 – Habitat, Theme 6 – Natural Capital, Theme10 – Sense of Place) Organization: Beechwood Cemetery, Ottawa Timeline for Completion: Started 2004 Ongoing Objective: Located in the southeast section of Beechwood Cemetery, the Macoun Marsh is a unique urban wetland named after John Macoun, a pioneering Canadian naturalist buried at Beechwood. To date, over 1,200 wildlife Read more
- Mark your Calendar! Fall Colours Hike to Blueberry MountainMay 6, 2018(Theme 6 – Natural Capital) Organization: Mississippi Madawaska Land Trust (MMLT) Timeline for Completion: Annual Event in Fall Objective: Each year the MMLT offers its annual Fall Colours Nature Walk at this lovely 1250-acre wilderness property known as cliffLAND. The Clifford Family entered into a conservation easement agreement with the Land Trust in 2009 to permanently preserve this Read more
- Macoun Field Club – Connecting the child with the wildMay 6, 2018(Theme 4 – Habitat, Theme 6 – Natural Capital) Organization: Ottawa Field-Naturalists’ Club Timeline for Completion: Started 1948 Ongoing Objective: The Macoun Field Club is for children and youth from ages 8 to 18. It has been bringing kids into first-hand contact with nature and with people who are dedicated to the study of nature for 65 years. It is sponsored by the Ottawa Read more
- Community sown, Naturally grown, Right in your backyardMay 6, 2018(Theme 5 – Food, Theme 8 – Health) Organization: Backyard Edibles Timeline for Completion: Started 2015 Ongoing Seasonal Objective: THE URBAN FARM Our farm is anything but typical. Embedded in the communities it feeds, Backyard Edibles transforms underused residential space into productive market gardens. With clusters of plots within a given neighbourhood, our farm not only grows Read more