Contribute to your community. Create the Hintonburg Community Sustainability Plan. In a one-hour discussion provide your ideas on one of 10 Themes of Sustainability. Propose issues and suggest projects. All discussions take place in the Hintonburg Community Centre from 7:00 PM to 8:00 PM on these dates:
· Tuesday, 24 April 2018 for themes of Transportation, Energy, Design, Habitat, Food
· Wednesday, 25 April 2018 for themes of Natural Capital, Waste, Health, Recreation, Sense of Place.
You may attend one or both sessions and provide ideas for Themes you did not discuss. Click here to Register.
What is the Ottawa Biosphere Eco-City Initiative (OBEC)?
OBEC is a not-for-profit that uses Biosphere Eco-City (BEC) Themes and Tools to engage people and organizations in sustainability
BEC Themes of Sustainability
For buildings and activities e.g. transportation, manufacturing, agriculture
Human needs for land, water, soil, natural materials
Clean air & water, safety, tranquility, environmental needs of vulnerable groups
Demonstration Projects and Sustainability Plans
Latest Entries in Database of Sustainability Projects
- Disposal of Hazardous Waste – 2018April 23, 2018(Theme 7 – Waste, Theme 8 – Health) Organization: City of Ottawa Timeline for Completion: Ongoing Seasonal Objective: If it’s corrosive, flammable or poisonous it’s hazardous waste. These types of products contaminate water and landfills and should never be poured down the drain or put out with your regular garbage. To help you dispose of these products safely, the City of Ottawa Read more
- Gardening for Bees (and other pollinators)April 23, 2018(Theme 4 – Habitat) Organization: Hintonburg Community Association Timeline for Completion: Sunday, June 3, 2018 at 10 am Objective: HCA is excited to bring the community a talk by Master Gardeners of Ottawa-Carleton. As gardening weather is beginning, come and learn what to plant to attract bees and other pollinators. Bees are our most important pollinators. Many bee species are declining, Read more
- Hintonburg & Wellington Village Spring CleanupApril 23, 2018(Theme 7 – Waste, Theme10 – Sense of Place) Organization: Hintonburg Community Association Timeline for Completion: Saturday, April 28, 2018 Objective: Spring is here and now is the time to clean up our communities. Come out and join your neighbours and have some fun. •Registration is between 9:00 – 10:30 a.m. The rain date is Saturday, May 5th. •Lunch for volunteers will be hosted by Read more
- Rainbarrels to Help the Environment – 2018April 22, 2018(Theme 6 – Natural Capital, Theme 7 – Waste, Theme 8 – Health) Organization: Rainbarrel.ca – Ottawa area groups participating Timeline for Completion: Starting in April Objective: Upcoming Ottawa Area Fundraising Rain Barrel Sales for 2018 . Madawaska Valley Lions Club – Barry’s Bay Ontario . Gloucester Beacon Learning Centre – Gloucester Ontario . Just Read more
- ReStore OttawaApril 22, 2018(Theme 7 – Waste) Organization: Habitat for Humanity – ReStore Timeline for Completion: Started 1991 Ongoing Objective: Habitat GO is helping families in Greater Ottawa to build a better life through affordable homeownership. The local ReStores, which are owned and operated by Habitat GO, are non-profit home improvement stores that accept donations of new and used product to sell to Read more