What is the Ottawa Biosphere Eco-City Initiative (OBEC)?
OBEC is a local, grassroots charity that uses Biosphere Eco-City (BEC) Themes and Tools to engage people and organizations in sustainability across Ottawa
Saturday 28 April 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM
Hintonburg Sustainability Plan
Come see the plan
Members of the Hintonburg Community have created a Sustainability Plan.
Go to the Community Centre Saturday morning, visit the Meeting Room in the basement and view the plan. Talk to organizers and see what interests you.
What: View Ottawa’s 1st Community Sustainability Plan
When: Saturday 28 April 2018, from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM
Where: Hintonburg Community Centre, 1064 Wellington St. West, Ottawa
Our Themes of Sustainability
Our 10 Themes of Sustainability
Our Tools of Engagement
Demonstration Projects and Sustainability Plans
Latest Entries in Database of Sustainability Projects
- Ottawa Gatineau Christmas Bird Count 2020 – Sunday, Dec 20November 22, 2020(Theme 4 – Habitat) Organization: Ottawa Field-Naturalists’ Club (OFNC) Timeline for Completion: Ongoing Annual Event – Sunday, Dec 20 2020 All Day Objective: The Birds Committee organizes the Ottawa contribution to the annual Audubon Christmas Bird Count. This North-America wide birding tradition started in 1900 and the OFNC has participated continuously since 1920. In recent years Read more
- Christmas Bird Counts 2020 – Mississippi Valley Field NaturalistsNovember 17, 2020(Theme 4 – Habitat) Organization: Mississippi Valley Field Naturalists Timeline for Completion: Ongoing Annual Event in December Objective: Once again it is the Audubon Christmas Bird Count season! This is the 121th year of Christmas Bird Counts and there are three planned for our area; Rideau Ferry, Carleton Place, and Lanark Highlands. Birders and nature enthusiasts in the three CBCs and Read more
- The Canadian Access Project – Beyond the Farm GateNovember 16, 2020(Theme 5 – Food) Organization: Canadian Organic Growers (COG) Timeline for Completion: Aug, 2020 – Aug 2022 Objective: This project will identify current barriers in the organic food supply chain, help the Canadian organic industry fulfill its economic potential, and provide Canadians with increased access to regionally-grown, organic food. More specifically, the project will identify Read more
- The Great Backyard Bird Count – February 12-15, 2021November 13, 2020(Theme 4 – Habitat) Organization: Birds Canada Timeline for Completion: Feb 12-15, 2021 Annual event Objective: The Great Backyard Bird Count (GBBC) is a joint partnership between Audubon and the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, with Bird Studies Canada as the official Canadian partner. The GBBC is an annual four-day event that engages birdwatchers of all ages across North America in counting Read more
- Keddy Nature Sanctuary – Visits by prior arrangement with MMLTNovember 13, 2020(Theme 4 – Habitat, Theme 8 – Health, Theme10 – Sense of Place) Organization: Mississippi Madawaska Land Trust (MMLT) Timeline for Completion: Ongoing Objective: The Keddy Nature Sanctuary (KNS) encompasses close to a square mile of forest and wetland on the very edge of the Canadian shield, just an hour west of Ottawa on the east side of Lanark County. In late January 2014, Read more